Sunday, October 3, 2010

Pop Art in Sportswear

What are our motives in buying clothing and more specifically in sportswear?  We are influenced by fashion trends around us and right now that is Pop Art.  Not only is it popular in our everyday culture as Americans, but it could be growing into sports swag near you.  Now, I am a HUGE San Francisco Giants fan, so naturally when my Dad texts me, 'Want to go to the game Friday?' I freaked out. I was walking to the ballgame the next night in hopes of an NL West division clinching win when I noticed a person walking by with an interesting t-shirt which had an unfamiliar silhouetted face. This got me thinking. I have been wanting to design some Giants t-shirts simply because I feel there is a lack of creative design in sportswear. Pop art is in right now, and incorporating this into sportswear could very well bring a lot demand.

In a fashion context of design I think you can either follow trends or create new trends. If you are an established design group and you have a big enough name, you most likely have the freedom to pretty much do whatever you want. This would give you the option of creating trends. Otherwise, if you are trying to make it in todays market, you would probably have to design something that would be following a current fashion trend. Do what is in and it will be easier to catch the eye of people around you. Often, if you try to create a new trend it will be seen first as weird or unusual. But don't get me wrong, because you definitely don't have to just copy everyone else and not be even innovative and good designers will do just the opposite of this. They will take current trends whether it is in fashion or any other field of design and take it to the next level. Design to me is just this. Sometimes people fall into the mindset of copying everyone else out there when you should just be yourself and let everything around you in your unique lives inspire your creation!

No comments:

Post a Comment