Monday, October 11, 2010

Creativity from Without

Tim Brown is a designer that inspires me to do what I love and that is designing.  Brown has given a few talks at the TED conferences in Monterey, CA.  One of these is his talk on thinking big.  One of Tim's main ideals as a designer and as an artist is to 'Think Big'.  To him, this means not only going to work at your design firm and reskinning simple designs and looks for other things.  Brown talks about how many designers today are underused in his speech on 'Creativity and Play'.  One of these points is exactly what he was talking about here in that he doesn't want designers to just go to work to get paid to do mundane things that any graphic artist could do.  He points out that you should design the frameworks for objects as well as design the skins for them.



I think that he is completely correct about this since you can be a decent designer and get away with just reskinning for big firms and making your money to pay the bills, but the truly great designer would put that on the line to go big for a greater cause.  This may be hard to justify, but I would like to think that I have this quality in that I also try to go big whenever I can.  A lot of times you can come out and just look dumb, but that one time when you succeed and come out on top makes all those previous attempts worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment