Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Designer: Chris Milk

Before I say anything about the genius of Chris Milk, go to this website, type in your address and watch this music video. 

http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/

I hope you liked it, and if you aren't a fan of Arcade Fire, then hopefully you could at least appreciate the style in which Chris Milk designed their experimental video.  I think that this innovation in designers is the sort of thing that creates a name for yourself.  He has made videos before, and is obviously not a no body, but Chris stuck his head out on this idea and went for it.  He used a completely foreign HTML5 to design his interactive short, where it pulls up a Google Chrome image of your house and incorporates the viewer to engage them in the video.  

Sure, many people could think of ideas like this, but to actually attempt and succeed in creating this video is amazing to me.  The coding is far past my understanding and I think this is what is often scary for people with big ideas.  It is easy to give up on a big idea when you don't have a clue how to start or even how to build a framework to support your ideas.  This may be what separates the great designers from designers.

Chris Milk has also done many other short films, like this one titled "Last Day Dream"


Another of my favorites from his works is "Who's Gonna Save My Soul" where he did a music video for Gnarls Barkley.

No comments:

Post a Comment