Monday, October 18, 2010

Compare and Contrast



Above is the short directed by Chris Milk entitled 'Who's Gonna Save My Soul.'

I newly discovered Chris Milk and his body of works as I will go into further detail later. I realized after watching this short film that his style is somewhat similar to the more widely known Spike Jonze. Spike has a similarly themed video in which he worked with Kanye West as his primary actor. Here is Jonze's video titled "We Were Once a Fairy Tale"
Part 1:

Part 2:


Both styles are a bit dark, but cut right to the heart (sorry for the bad pun). I think this was also shown very well in Jonze's recent remake of Where the Wild Things Are.  They have very similar styles especially in the first two videos I posted as they both involve cutting into their chests to pull out fictitious living creatures, one being his broken heart and the other being Jonze's interpretation of a man's soul.  I can really appreciate both of their bodies of work because they are very abstract and also notion at critical emotions that we don't even like talking about often.  Instead we are able to view their short films and have a conversation with the director in relating to the portrayed situations.  As I have stated in previous posts, I believe that it is in the best art that the artist can get straight to your physical emotions and play with your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment