Monday, November 15, 2010

Designing the Designer

As I was walking through the Domes' garden in West Davis, I found a little area that was ringing with peacefulness.  As I walked into that section covered in trees, the wind blew and let out a ringing of many wind chimes strewn about.  The wind chime itself was designed to be hung somewhere which has wind to move the chimes around until it hits against the hard object in the middle causing them to make a whimsical sort of music.  The wind chime produces something like the music I associate with hurricanes and tornadoes for some reason.  Random, chaotic, but beautiful.  The simple chaotic rhythm manages to put my mind at ease and be completely relaxed. I know what I want outside my porch someday. A hammock and a ton of wind chimes.



I think this says something about nature and design as a whole.  Nature is built of all sorts of rhythms and patterns and naturally these have stood the test of time.  As we have designed the wind chime to be a designer of new and unique music rhythms for ages to come, it is a designer in itself.  This is a sort of simple example of what I am trying to say, but we need to push for designing which lends itself to aiding other designing itself.  Whether this is designing things that design themselves, or designing things which aid us in the creation of new designs.  This is an idea worth exploring and I think many things could come from such a simple creation like the wind chime.

No comments:

Post a Comment