Monday, November 8, 2010

Indie Games Continued

In my ongoing quest to find the newest and most innovative designs once again a hardly known indie game caught my eye when my brother showed it to me recently. This time the game is called Norrland.

An image from the game play











The game is based around living and hunting in Norrland, or Sweden.  The twist that did it for me is that it is designed with a very unique stylized set of panels.  No the art isn't anything mind blowing since it is an 8-bit game.  Everything is very simple, but the game manages to keep you on your toes with it's weird scenes and parts which will most likely challenge your own ethics.  Sure many people will play this game and instantly think, "Wow how perverse!" But honestly I think this is what makes the game for me.  I have noticed a lack of truly expressive games which involve interactions with things that aren't politically correct.  I guess the point I am trying to get across is that people are being conditioned to only think about happy thoughts and to think about things that are morally sound and correct.  In reality, I believe it is healthy to do just the opposite of this.  Games such as this one are created to be fun, sure, but also to question ourselves and know that just because I am playing a game which is asking me to press buttons to make my character masturbate and take a shit and much more (I wont ruin it all for you!), this doesn't make me perverse, or insane.  It just shows how I can separate my morals in real life from playing a game for entertainment.  Games such as these allow us to explore our inner dark sides without having to explore them in the real world.  Humans are born curious, and it is healthy to exercise this curiosity and explore the unknown in everything around us!

If I still haven't scared you off with all my blabbering, here is a link to download the game and try it for yourself!
http://cactusquid.com/games/norrland.zip

No comments:

Post a Comment